There's nothing that says "home" more than a cobbler.
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup plus 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1⁄2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄8 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Step 1 - Prep
- Crank your oven up to 400°F.
- Grease an 8" x 8" baking dish with 1 Tbsp of shortening and set aside.
Step 2 - Filling
- Whisk 3⁄4 cup sugar, 2 Tbsp cornstarch, and 1⁄4 tsp cinnamon in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add blueberries and raspberries.
- Bake for 7–8 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1⁄2 tsp lemon juice and 1⁄8 tsp almond extract.
- Pour filling into baking dish and set aside.
Step 3 - Dough
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk remaining sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Work remaining shortening into flour with your fingers until pea-size lumps form.
- Stir in milk to form a good dough.
Step 4 - Bake
- Place heaping tablespoonfuls of dough evenly over filling.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes until golden and bubbling.